Wednesday 19 September 2012

Genre

The main genres within the music are;
  • rock
  • pop
  • alternative
Indie Rock-

My chosen track from The Vaccines 'Family Friend' falls into the alternative category as it is considered as indie rock, which is a genre within alternative rock. The genre of indie rock first arised in the 1980's, the term 'indie' was originally used to describe the type of record label the term then became associated with the type of music they produced.

'Indie rock is free to explore sounds, emotions, and lyrical subjects that don't appeal to large, mainstream audiences'. With this ideology being attached to the genre there aren't many conventions that they typically follow within their music videos however there are some that are associated with the genre:

  • everyday location
  • normal people doing 'extraordinary' things
  • tends to be black and white
  • use of extreme close ups and long shots
  • fast paced
By knowing stylistic features of music videos within the genre of my chosen track I am able to ensure that I include and or develop some of ideas based around these as it will allow me to make a video that is coherent with the genre of my track. In addition to this by considering these elements when making my video it will mean that my video is targeting the correct audience and illustrating themes and representations that are relevant to them.


Sources:
http://www.webcitation.org/mainframe.php

No comments:

Post a Comment